Go from zero to implementing IoT in two months!
Tech for Good (T4G) is an initiative by Sustainable Living Lab (SL2) to implement technology relating to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
SL2 is opening up the opportunity to members of the public not only to learn about a technology, but to apply it as a real world project overseas. This upcoming T4G programme is focused on the Internet of Things (IoT) and the project will be deployed at the Raitong Organics Farm in Thailand.
Video: featuring Raitong Organics Farm
This is the second run of T4G this year. We will be making an IoT-enabled environment sensor. Check out what we did in our first run in July this year:-
Video: Bird Repeller prototype
Here is what some of our past participants have to say about this programme:-
“I’m really glad I was able to join the trip. I got practical hands-on experience by doing schematics and soldering and prototyping, in a field I had no idea about just few weeks ago. And I think more importantly, I also got to know more about organic farming from first-hand experience and I may plan to get more involved in such activities in the future. Thank you for coordinating and organising!” – Kai
“Anyone with the interest will want to join. It’s cool for people who wants to do hands-on and see the non-urban life. For benefits, everyone will benefit from it. Learning about the farm systems, the hands-on soldering and design. Real problems need practical solutions.” – Yongliang
- Participants are at least 18 years of age
- Coding experience helpful but not required
- Able to commit to three full-day Saturdays in Oct and Nov and a few days at around the second week of December for the overseas trip
- 13 Oct 2018 (Saturday) – Workshop #1 of 3: Intro to microcontrollers – breadboard a working circuit
- 27 Oct 2018 (Saturday) – Workshop #2 of 3: IoT basics – using a wireless protocol, logging data onto an online IoT platform
- 10 Nov 2018 (Saturday) – Workshop #3 of 3: System integration – preparing for field deployment
- 12 – 16 Dec (tentative) – trip to Raitong Organics Farm, Thailand
- 3 x IoT workshops – Worth $1500
- Advanced IoT kit – Worth $300
- 4 Days Accommodation, Meals & Transport – Worth $850
- 1 Day Basic Farming Course – Worth $200