We have built our first vermicomposter prototype! As explained in the previous post, this vermicomposter is designed for beginners. The modular design allows for mistakes i.e. users need to only rectify/ reset one module instead of the whole bin in case of environment change such as overheating, pH change, etc.
The material is easily obtainable, and the build is simple.
- Anti-slip surface: this one is 30 cm x 30 cm
- cable tie
- Cut the anti slip surface to 15 cm x 15 cm base. Take note that for this particular material, the surface is divided into small square of side 7.5 cm.
- Cut four sides of 7.5 cm x 15 cm panels for the sides
- Cut off the excess material at the sides.
- Here is the material required for one module, ready to be assembled!
- Use cable tie to secure the pieces together!
- Cut excess cable tie.
- One done. Three to go!
- Four modules done. Now they can be installed to your existing vermicomposter, or you can make or purchase a simple container.
With the four modules ready, the next thing we are going to do are the following:
- Make a box to contain the four modules.
- Create a bottom container to collect worm tea.
- Make a cover for the vermicomposter.
The completed product will look something like this:
Afterwards, we are going to test this vermicomposter design. So exciting!